Assistant Vice President to the CEO
Location: Washington, DC
Assistant Vice President to the CEO
The Assistant Vice President to the CEO works to maximize the effectiveness of the CEO. As the CEO’s ‘right hand’, the role requires an extremely intelligent individual who is organized, discrete, highly resourceful, technical, with exceptional interpersonal skills. The AVP handles communications with employees, customers, senior executives, external organizations, investors, and our Board of Directors. The AVP works with the CEO to prioritize, balance and facilitate a wide range of activities, travel, meetings, speeches, projects, non-profit activities, and personal obligations. The AVP is a critical role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, thinking, behind-the-scenes role. The AVP needs to anticipate the voice of the CEO in many areas.
- Manages the day-to-day administrative affairs of the CEO’s office. Schedules all appointments and other commitments.
- Reviews all correspondence and communications; responds directly on behalf of the CEO; flags communications requiring the CEO’s attention or identifies the right person in the Company to respond.
- Manages a dynamic and complex calendar and agenda across a broad range of constituencies; internal, external, and personal.
- Screens incoming calls to the CEO, determining nature of the call and whether or not it requires the attention of the CEO.
- Makes and reviews all travel arrangements for the CEO; prepares the itinerary, confirms lodging and transportation, and processes and reconciles travel expenses.
- Continuously monitors key operating reports and identifies anomalies/issues that require the CEO’s attention.
- Works directly with senior and mid-level executives to facilitate communications, quick decisions and actions.
- Tracks and reports on agreed action items to ensure completion.
- Briefs the CEO in advance about key issues and events.
- Ensures timely pre-read materials and discussions.
- Prepares or coordinates with others to prepare presentations and key talking points for the CEO.
- Supports strategic initiatives by clarifying accountabilities across executives, ensuring proper resourcing and project support.
- For major cross-functional, special projects, ensures clear accountabilities and alignment among stakeholders. If alignment is at risk, shares risk areas with the CEO and recommends mitigating approaches.
- Proactively identifies issues that could impact the successful execution of the CEO’s commitments, and develops ideas to resolve the problem/mitigate the risk.
Education and Experience
Candidate should possess a record of educational and professional accomplishments including an undergraduate degree and preferably a master’s degree. Foreign language skills are a strong plus. The candidate should have a minimum of five years of business experience.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven business acumen based on a broad understanding of all aspects of business e.g. finance, marketing, sales, research, product dev/IT.
- Internal candidates with CoStar Group experience are preferred.
- A strategic planner with sound technology skills, analytical ability, good judgment and operational focus
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to multi-task and demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to keep a diverse group of people on task. The AVP must also be a relationship builder.
- Ability to maintain a high level of trust and integrity under strict confidentiality.
- Considerable conceptual and analytical skills. Tact, diplomacy, and persistence are essential qualities in executing this dimension of the role.
- Exemplary ability to understand the interests of the parties working with the CEO, as well as their intentions, are critical aspects to ensure identification of creative alternative means of handling pressing issues.
- Accountable to deliver in collaboration with executives. Work is performed with little direction following specific objectives set by the CEO. Delegates assignments to senior executives and to multi-level interdepartmental associates.
- Advanced use of Microsoft office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint; ability to learn organization’s database and content management system.
- Meticulous grammar, editing, writing, presentation, and communication skills.
- Some domestic and international travel is required.
- The company will facilitate relocation as needed.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing