Hospice Area Executive of Clinical Operations
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Ascension at Home - Together with Compassus Associates: Please apply via Workday
At Compassus, we are dedicated to compassionate care, clinical excellence and providing comfort and support to patients and their families facing the end of life. For many of our team members, this is more than a career — it’s a calling.
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of others? Join our team today as the Hospice Area Executive of Clinical Operations to positively impact the experiences of our patients and families.
As the Hospice Area Executive of Clinical Operations, you are responsible for the overall planning, directing, organizing, staffing, monitoring and reporting on all patient care activities. You will oversee a team of clinical directors and work alongside the Area Market Executive to ensure clinical and operational excellence. As the Hospice Area Executive of Clinical Operations, you are a critical leader within the hospice team who ensures that the program has regulatory compliance and sound procedures within the office.
- Maintains full responsibility for all day-to-day functions related to patient/family care services and any/all issues related to assuring high care quality, services monitoring, services documentation thereof and maximum utilization of all care related resources and related costs through program-level Hospice Directors of Clinical Services.
- Responsible for managing the “Big 5” of programs in assigned area: pharmacy, medical supplies, durable medical equipment, mileage and labor.
- Ensures that Hospice Directors of Clinical Services are monitoring and maintaining adequate care staffing as is required to appropriately meet patient/family service needs and works with their Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations and Hospice Regional Vice President to ensure information about program needs and outcomes are communicated for budgetary and planning purposes.
- Ensures that productivity and performance standards are being met by all disciplines, by working closely with and through the supervising Hospice Director(s) of Clinical Services) and assuring that those standards are in compliance with current job descriptions and monitored and recorded through timely annual appraisals.
- Ensures that all Conditions of Participation, regulatory standards and Standards of Care are being met, as per corporate policy and procedure and reporting variances or concerns to the program director in a timely manner.
- Ensures that any/all care staff orientation/education requirements are met by working closely with and through the supervising Hospice Director(s) of Clinical Services, corporate education coordinator and corporate clinical services department, reporting variances or concerns to the Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations in a timely manner.
- Ensures that appropriate levels of care/service are applied appropriately, is regularly monitored and is adjusted by current acuity for all hospice patients, by working closely with and through the supervising Hospice Director(s) of Clinical Services reporting variances or concerns to the Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations in a timely manner.
- Regularly participates in internal and external hospice care related education programs, as is necessary to assure positive vendor/physician relations, educational requirements, regulatory compliance and as may be directed by the Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations.
- Functions as an effective, positive and supportive senior member of the hospice management team. Coordinates closely with the Hospice Area Market Executive to set a clear, consistent, positive, professional and empowering example of professional management for the Hospice Director(s) of Clinical Services and staff to model from.
- Regularly visits and maintains positive relationships with, contracted facilities/vendors to praise (when appropriate), problem solve (when appropriate) and assures positive lines of open communications are open and available, reporting variances or concerns to the Hospice Area Market Executive in order to co-create solutions while keeping the Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations fully appraised of those visits, outcomes and relationships in a timely manner.
- Coordinates, monitors and reviews activities and performance of all contracted, patient related, ancillary services (pharmacy, DME, lab, therapies, etc.). Serves as the program’s primary liaison to ancillary vendors, reporting service variances or concerns to the Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations in a timely manner.
- Recruits, hires, orients, supervises, coaches, and is responsible for the professional development of Hospice Director(s) of Clinical Services, with pre-hire approval from Hospice Regional Executive of Clinical Operations.
- Has the primary responsibility for budgetary compliance with all patient/family services related expenses and for any patient/family services related budgetary projections.
- Assures the appropriate delegation, training, coordination and monitoring for the daily supervision and oversight of all compliance and documentation requirements inclusive of colleague appraisals, admission documentation and budget preparation/reporting.
- Assures that the highest standards of hospice care are met and that all vendor/physician interactions are timely, accurate, complete and positive.
- Works closely with the Hospice Area Market Executive to plan, manage and monitor all hospice expenditures in a fiscally responsible manner in accordance with the program’s budget.
- Works in collaboration with the Hospice Area Market Executive to ensure that all patient and customer service level agreements are met or exceeded, and all variances are identified and remedied.
- Directly supervises five to ten colleagues. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training colleagues; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining colleagues; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Effective leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to travel within the region and to national meetings, as needed
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word programs
- Valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance
Education and/or Certifications
Registered Nurse in the state of employment with two to three years nursing experience in hospice or healthcare, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex. Compassus, including all Compassus affiliates, does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.